Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Expat Experiences: Australia - Lesley Snell

Who are you?
Beach

My name is Lesley Snell. I live on the Northern Beaches in Sydney with my husband and three children. I am a UK trained primary schoolteacher and Director of a small business on the Northern Beaches in Sydney, Australia.


Where, when and why did you move abroad?

I have been very lucky to have moved around a fair bit. Over the past twenty years I have lived in New York City, London, Sydney, Washington.D.C. and Miami. We have moved because of my husband’s job within the airline industry. We became Australian Citizens a few years back and we are now settled here on The Northern Beaches.


What challenges did you face during the move?

Lots!!

Initially it was missing our family and friends. When we had children away from family we missed the Grandparents and the support they can provide. It’s difficult to miss family events as we undoubtedly have. One of my hardest challenges has been seeing my parents get older without me being there for them.

Once you have children abroad you need to consider schools and areas you and your children want to live in. Deciding where to “Put down your roots” is no easy task and you need to figure out your priorities.

We also missed the social side of pubs and particularly High Street stores!!! (no need to mention names!)

Making new friends is also difficult - you have to be thick skinned and THROW YOURSELF into your new life!!!

Read more at http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-australia-experiences-lesley-snell

No comments: