Friday, July 09, 2010

Expat Experiences: Canada - Lyn Worrell

Who are you?

Lyn and Richard Worrell

My name is Lyn Worrell. My husband Richard had been married before when I met him in Saudi Arabia and we got married in Jeddah at the British Consulate. I "inherited" 2 daughters and now have 5 wonderful grandchildren, ages ranging from 9 years to 18 months.


Where, when and why did you move abroad?

I moved to Canada in August 2004 and came with my husband as part of the "truck driver invasion" into Saskatchewan to improve the immigration figures. My husband was recruited by Siemens Transportation in Saskatoon and was sponsored through them with a temporary work permit to work in Saskatoon. We both decided that life in the UK did not hold much excitement for us and felt Canada would provide a better lifestyle for us. We got our Permanent Resident status in November 2006 and the paperwork for our Canadian Citizenship was submitted in July last year and should be completed sometime in 2011.


What challenges did you face during the move?

One of the biggest challenges, was trying to decide which of our belongings to take with us and what to put in storage. We decided to rent out our house in the UK until we had been given Permanent Resident status in Canada. I felt there was just that 1% chance of being turned down and hence we would need somewhere to stay in the UK if we got "kicked" out!

Read more at http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-canada-experiences-lyn-worrell

No comments: