Sunday, August 21, 2011

Expat Experiences: Chile - Sally Rose, Santiago


Who are you?

My name is Sally Rose. I blog as The Thorny Rose.

Where, when and why did you move abroad?

I moved to Santiago, Chile on March 1, 2011, because I had discovered, during a visit here in 2008, that I felt better here than anywhere I've ever been or lived. Whatever "it" was, I wanted more of it! (I had always had an idea that I would go overseas to teach English "someday.")


What challenges did you face during the move?

Because I expect this move to be permanent (well, as permanent as anything ever is in my life!), I divested myself of almost everything I owned. Since I'll only admit to being 39, I'll just say that it was 39 years worth of "stuff." The hardest thing, beyond a doubt, was giving away my 16-year old cat who was too old to make the long journey.


Can you tell us something about your property?

I am renting from the same landlord whom I've rented from on previous visits. I found his property on Craigslist. I love the location, but will be moving again, eventually, because this apartment is tiny, more like a hotel suite with a kitchenette than a real "home."


What is the property market like at the moment?

Have no idea. I do know this: I was living in New York City before this and I can buy an apartment here for probably 1/4 of what a similar one in NYC would cost.


Read more about life in Chile at:
www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-chile-experiences-santiago-sally-rose

No comments: