Saturday, September 17, 2011

Expat Experiences: The Bahamas - Jeremy

Who are you?

Hi, my name is Jeremy and I'm a Belgian guy.

Where, when and why did you move abroad?

I lived for 5 years in North America, after that almost 2 years in Central America.

Now I'm living in The Bahamas... Why? Hmm... Do I really have to answer this one? :-D LOL

Well, let's say that at first I came here twice as a tourist and destiny helped by the love of a local mermaid brings me back to the Bahamian shores, but not as a tourist this time.

What challenges did you face during the move?

Ha, ha... Yes, we can speak about challenge! Hmm, probably the biggest one was to learn how to cross a street and arrive still alive on the other side as everyone seems to drive on the wrong side of the road here :-D LOL

After this first learning, the second one was to be the driver of the car and get used to also do my best to stay on the wrong side of the road, no matter what... Just joking but not so easy at first. Other than that, nothing really complicated except maybe about immigration laws and more especially the application of it in real life. Each immigration officer here seems to have its own perception of the law and it is kinda difficult to find two of them thinking the same way or just willing to apply the basic law as it is supposed to be...

Read more about life in the Bahamas: www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-bahamas-experiences-jeremy

1 comment:

Aisha said...

Haha! I can definitely sympathise with you on the driving & road issues Jeremy! I moved from the UK to Canada and am having difficulty adjusting to driving on the wrong side of the road. I terrified my husband on one occasion, by making a turn into the wrong side of the road at a junction. Well... he was talking so much he broke my concentration and my instinctual driving skills took over!