Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Expat Experience: Rachel Farndon, Dublin, Ireland

Rachel Farndon
Who are you?

I am Rachel Farndon. I’m in my twenties and I am a career expat.

Where, when and why did you move abroad?

My first big move was as a 9 year old when my family moved from New Zealand to Brunei. I have since travelled all over the world. In 2012 I made my next long term move to Ireland. This was purely spontaneous. I applied for a working holiday visa, picked up and left within about 3 months. I am now living and working in Manila, The Philippines.

How did you find somewhere to live?

In Ireland I had a number of happy coincidences.

In my first two days I had landed a live in job in a hostel purely by talking to people and letting them know I was looking for work. In the Philippines I had one month in a hotel to sort out what I would do next. I spent a lot of time looking online as well as contacting rental agents directly.

Renting was itself, rather simple. My agent did all the liaising and I was able to reach a rent amount I was happy with. Setting up cable and internet was also smooth because my building has an administration office that takes care of contacting companies for you...

http://www.expatfocus.com/c/aid=1300/expat-experiences/ireland/rachel-farndon-dublin/

No comments: