Monday, March 10, 2014

Expat Experience - Anja, Singapore

Anja, SingaporeWho are you?

My name is Anja aka CurlyTraveller. I am a fifty-something woman from the Netherlands, and my blog has articles and lots of pictures about my travels and explorations in Asia, about art, mixed with snippets of my personal life and thoughts. Am crazy about cats and dogs, sketching and the Argentine Tango. Drawn to quirky places and people and to kitsch stuff.

Where, when and why did you move abroad?

I basically follow my husband around wherever his job brings him. Since 2009 that is Singapore.

What challenges did you face during the move?

Do you know how they call Singapore 'Asia for beginners'? Well, everything is quite well organized here, which makes things not that hard. Also, it was just the two of us. No pets, no children, no furniture. Easypeasy!

How did you find somewhere to live? (e.g. how did you locate a suitable property? what was the buying/renting process like?)

Now THAT was hard! It is one of the biggest nightmares of expats in Singapore. Because it is a seller's/landlord's market. Meaning that houses are strongly overpriced! Also landlords get away with the most insane demands and rules. Very stressful...

Read More

No comments: