Friday, February 19, 2010

Expat Experiences: South Korea - Sue Meldrum


Who are you?

My name is Sue Meldrum. I have a husband named Guy and two children - Jacques who is 10 and was born in London and Sophie who is 6 and was born in Sydney.


Where, when and why did you move abroad?

I currently live in Seoul, South Korea. My husband moved here in August 2008 but my children and I didn't relocate here until August 2009. I have been an expatriate for 20 years and this is my 9th international posting. For 10 years, I was the employee and for the last 10 years, I have been an expatriate wife, so I have seen expat life from 'both sides!' Guy and I met at work and had dual careers with the same company for many years, until I left to have my first child in 2000. My career in communications/marketing has been predominantly with two major multinationals and my husband is still working for the same company where we met. My first international assignment was back in 1988 when I went to New Zealand for 3 years. The move was a smart career decision and also an opportunity to escape and try something new. Every move I have made since has been for the same reasons really. Both Guy and I are career-oriented but equally, we also wanted our children to have the opportunity of living overseas and experiencing as much as possible...

Read more

No comments: