Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Expat Experiences: Australia - Jennifer Tice

Who are you?

Jennifer Tice


Jennifer Tice – Former Marketing Manager and now travel blogger at www.jennifertice.com


Where, when and why did you move abroad?

I decided I needed a big change in my life, sold all of my belongings and headed overseas for an indefinite period of time. So far stops include two weeks in New Zealand, one year in Australia, and then off to Asia.


What challenges did you face during the move?

I found that once you really commit yourself to the trip things seem to fall into place. At first it was difficult to sell all of my belongings, but after a while it became a very freeing experience, and a good way to get some extra cash for traveling.


Can you tell us something about your property?

Since I have been moving around Australia every few weeks/months, I have stayed in a variety of places. Hostels for places where I am only staying for a few weeks, and then share apartments for longer stays. Gumtree.com.au is the best resource over here for looking for short term accommodation.


Are you employed or self-employed? What challenges did you face in either finding employment or running your own business?

Jennifer Tice

Finding a job abroad is all about timing, and knowing what skills you have that are applicable to vacant jobs overseas. I first found work with a temp agency for office placements which was great. Not long term contracts, but good to start getting a few days/weeks of work here and there. Then I worked in hospitality at a restaurant in Sydney for about 4 months – if you are looking to work in this field, everyone hires like crazy during November. After that time period it is going to be a lot harder to find work...

Read more at http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-australia-experiences-jennifer-tice

No comments: