Monday, June 28, 2010

Expat Experiences: Bali, Indonesia - Mike Henry

Who are you?

beach

My name is Mike Henry and I am currently living on the island of Bali in Indonesia. I am originally from Melbourne, Australia.


Where, when and why did you move abroad?

I have actually been living overseas for most of my life, including 10 years in Japan, two years in China and now about one year in Bali.

I moved to Bali because I wanted a change in lifestyle. Ever since the first time I visited Bali, I knew I wanted to go back again for a longer period of time. There are so many great things about Bali including the culture, the people, the tropical weather and the many different places to visit in Bali.


What challenges did you face during the move?

Indonesia's bureaucracy can be difficult to deal with, especially immigration. Fortunately there are agents that can help you to get the right visas.

I moved to a village in Bali, so it was difficult to get internet and there was no chance of getting a telephone line. I had to get a post office box as it wasn't easy to get mail delivered to our house. Last year there were rolling blackouts once every ten days and we often had problems with the town water. It was good in a way, as I learnt not to take these things for granted.


Can you tell us something about your property?

I found my first house through an agent. When that lease expired I rented a house from a friend and it was much cheaper than going through an agent. In Indonesia you usually have to pay one year's rent in advance


What is the property market like at the moment?

The property market particularly in the south of Bali is really booming right now. Property prices are rising steadily. If you move out of the main tourist areas though, you can find more affordable accommodation...

Read more at http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-indonesia-experiences-mike-henry

No comments: