Sunday, May 29, 2011

Expat Experiences: Panama - Jane Ellis, Panama City

Who are you?

I am Panamajama, also known as Jane, mother of three young children. I fill my time by looking after my children, taking photos, doing my blog and studying to become a translator (French to English – NOT Spanish to English!


Where, when and why did you move abroad?

We all moved across to Panama from Scotland last year as my husband is working on the project to expand the canal.


What challenges did you face during the move?

We had to decide whether to bring our furniture with us (including our piano), then our travelling date was pushed back several times. When we arrived we lived in a furnished high-rise overlooking the Pacific while waiting for our furniture to travel over on a container ship. This was a lovely place to live, but there was no way of walking anywhere, and I did not fancy driving in the chaotic traffic of Panama City until I had been here long enough to get used to it. So I felt quite isolated initially.


How did you find somewhere to live?


Our relocation agents helped us. These were provided by the company my husband works for.

There have been many difficulties associated with relocation, not of least of which that Panama has no postal service as such – not like the kind UK or US citizens are used to. It took us 2 months to figure this out, during which time my son’s birthday presents...

Read more about Jane's life in Panama www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-panama-experiences-panama-city-jane-ellis

No comments: