Thursday, October 23, 2008

Why did you leave your home country?


by guest blogger Mac

I was asked this question last week. I had been talking with the guy who maintains the air conditioning in my apartment block, and had told him that I had hardly been back to the UK in the last 20 years. I was shocked to realise that I couldn’t really answer, I am sure there was a very good reason I left the UK originally but I can’t remember what it was!

These days I think I just stay away out of habit, and the question left me kind of worried that it was possibly time to consider going home. I sat back and reviewed the situation and realised that my lifestyle here is far better than it would be in the UK, and that I would have to give up everything that I enjoy most if I returned.

I found this a good exercise, confirming my reasons for being away, and reassuring myself that I was still doing the right thing. I think everyone who lives as an expat should follow this thought process from time to time, just to make sure they really are where they want to be...

2 comments:

Pamela Stocks said...

I wholeheartedly agree and for the 16 years I was in Spain, I did this "mental checklist" regularly. I had no doubts that I was happier there than I would ever be in the UK.

Now that I've been forced to return to Britain, I've confirmed that and can see no earthly reason why anyone would voluntarily return, unless they were badly informed or had not really thought it through.

Leon said...

Yep, I totally came to a blank when someone asked me that.

They said, why did you move?, and I said, because my wife is a native. Then they said, why choose this country and not your home country? My mind drew a blank, but afterwards, after some thought, I just thought it was the better country of the two.

Why would I want to live in the worse of two the two countries when I have a choice? It's that simple -- especially when bringing up a family.